Skip to main content

Handmade


It’s been a while since I did an 11 hour tattoo stint, and my hands are feeling being so tattoo unfit, the last two weeks has been a good break, but I’m back and at full force again.
I will be working at Body Architects in Claremont for a while, so if you are out and about and you feel like visiting please drop by, and say hello.
I’m feeling a little lost and at odds with myself, and it all boils down to not achieving. It’s brought to the fore by a conversation I was having with a friend about how there is a trend to moving back to hand crafted product, one in the making of, and two in the buying, and the related psychology involved. There is a move back to handmade, and I see the sense in it, I know that with myself that I am very lucky that everyday I get to start something, finish it and see the clients reaction, right away and there is a lot of satisfaction in that.
I’m not suggesting that landing that huge contract or getting that promotion in the office, doesn’t give the same thrill, but there is more to it then that, there is a sense of well being when one is physically creating something, and seeing it’s impact, the use of it.
I once had to build a wall for my cousin in Italy, I was a young punk, and I mean I was in safety pins and a Mohawk, actually in the other sense too. I was daunted by the task, but I was doing nothing and it was a great spring day, so I stripped off to my shorts and spent the day building, to say the wall was strait and a good job, would be a huge exaggeration but I have to say that at 8pm when the sun was beginning to set, I felt good, felt invigorated. This is what I think is missing, and why we are seeing so many depressed people, that we are doing things that don’t make us feel like we are achieving, this may just be that we have stopped looking at what we do as an achievement, or it may be that we are made to feel like what we do is not an achievement by those around us. Perhaps this is all bullshit, perhaps I’m making the kind of statement that pisses everyone off, but think of those guys in the early 1900 in the garages, building cars out of chunks of metal, molding panels and getting them perfect, then taking them out and racing them, imagine the satisfaction in the creation, imagine the achievement and the pleasure.

I just got Cee Lo Brown’s CD “Lady Killer”
I was ready to really hate it, but to my surprise I love it. It’s like the Motown sound is still alive and Phil Spector hasn’t lost his mind and we are all just dancing again.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr

David Bowie's 50th Birthday Bash Pt 6 - Space Boy with The Foo Fighters.mpg

Mr Lucky's Cape Town Tattoo