Skip to main content

Remember remember the 5th of November.

It's been a while, I know, formulating these things in my mind sometimes takes longer than I would like.
I have a really bad memory, I have always had a sketchy one, but after a bike accident in 2006 it really isn't good at all, lets say it's selective, but I don't get to choose what sticks and what doesn't. I've been told that it's laziness and I should try harder, but I really try, I have tried making notes, then I can't remember where I put them, I started writing them down in a note book, when I can actually find the note book I can't remember what the notes were for. I have tried taking photos of how I built or stripped something and a couple of days later.... the photos mean nothing and I can't make head or tail of what I was doing..... Ok, I don't want to alarm you, a lot of stuff sticks and I function and do things just fine, but things would be so me easier if I could remember.
I am now going to get to why I wrote this blog, I have stayed out of the Rhodes Statue fiasco taking place here, as it's just another political ploy to sway people from the real issues the government doesn't want to face. That's it end off, or is it really? Is it not perhaps a far more insidious, dangerous thing that is taking place here. We have all heard it "you learn from your mistakes" and those who don't heed history are bound to repeat the same mistakes. This is why the Rhodes issue is such a problem for me, without the reminders of what took place in the past how will future generations know not to make the same ones again, and history is littered with examples, Hitler didn't learn a thing from Napoleon and made exactly the same mistake in Russia, I know it's a extreme example but valid all the same.
Time is not your friend, and it ravages all of us, our personal strife and issues will fade away like our ashes, but the reminders of what we have lived through, how we got here and the lessons learnt will be lost if we lose our history, no matter how good or bad it is.
We are living through the governance of this country by "the lost generation" and it certainly shows, will we let them allow the next to be even more lost, without any note books to look at so they be reminded everyday on that campus of how we came to be?
For the very first time I really am afraid for my young nieces and the young clients I have.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love and Happiness

At this time of year when everyone is reminded that being a human being is being kind and loving, forgiving and tolerant, I feel that it's all bullshit, this is not a state for the holidays, this should be a constant state and something we should strive towards in our everyday lives. I blogged about being a "mensch" and perhaps it's good to remind ourselves what it means to be one. what follows is that blog A while ago I mentioned being a “mensch” and I was not really clear on what it means. A good friend and client brought this in for me, it’s part of an article written by Charlotte Cohen, and it sums it up well. What is a honourable mensch It is a voice, and the understanding behind it. It is the eyes, and the intelligence behind them. It is the recognition that support is needed, and asked for, giving it And the kindness that lies behind all of that. It’s keeping quiet when one ought and speaking when one should and knowing the difference. It’s giving pr

These gay days it seems

 In light of what we are seeing in the world today, specially in the US, I am always reminded of this song. In 76 this was an issue and it's half a century later and it feels more relevant than ever, why must people live in fear for being themselves, in fear of living when those around them do so without a thought for anyone else. We have allowed those loudest voices to rob us of compassion and love for one another, we have allowed them to brow beat us into hiding who we are, who our kids are, and in turn robbing us all of a future. I am not as kind as Rod about those that killed Georgie, in that time ignorance my have been a factor, today however this is not ignorance, this is malevolence, orchestrated hate. If this song doesn't touch you, go take a hard look in the mirror, I bet you won't like what you see. Oh yeah In these days of changing ways So called liberated days A story comes to mind of a friend of mine Georgie boy was gay I guess Nothin' more or nothin' l

Mr Lucky's Cape Town Tattoo